Belonging to the LGBTQIA+ community can be a beautiful thing, and dialectically speaking, this experience may also bring a myriad of different challenges. In this graduate group we will discuss the intricacies of the coming out process, navigating minority stress, how to respond to microaggressions, living a life that affirms your own unique identity, LGBTQIA+ specific self-compassion and acceptance, establishing a sense of community, and recovering from invalidation.
We will discuss how to integrate the DBT Skills from the four core modules (Mindfulness, Distress Tolerance, Emotion Regulation, and Interpersonal Effectiveness), and specifically how to apply them to the aforementioned challenges of being a member of the LGBTQIA+ population.
What’s different about this group compared to our 20-week group?
- Identity Exploration includes exploring the constructs of gender identity and sexual orientation to provide a solid foundation to understand our own personal levels of intersectionality
- Learn how to apply DBT Skills to Queer specific issues and challenges in a safe space with other LGBTQIA+ members
- More time spent on processing specific challenges throughout each group. There is more flexibility to have open discussions, address personal challenges, and gain guidance from facilitators and other group members
- Understand how to build psychological buffers to distress with DBT skill use to increase resilience and self-compassion
To be eligible for this group, participants must:
- Have completed at least one round of our 20-week skills group (or equivalent level of treatment from another treatment center)
- Have no current Stage 1 behaviors (no active life-threatening behaviors) within the last 6 months
- Identify as LGBTQIA+ (which includes curious/exploring identities)
- Be able to attend for 10 weeks on Tuesday nights from 5pm to 6:30pm (first round starting 5/17/2022)
- Have had an intake assessment at DBTOC, OR complete a pre-group interview if you have not had services at DBTOC in the last 6 months
For more information, please give us a call at 949-480-7767.