During this 8-week workshop, parents and other loved ones of those struggling with emotional regulation and interpersonal challenges are invited to learn DBT skills. Participants are not required to have a loved one currently in DBT treatment at DBT Center of Orange County or elsewhere, nor are they required to have a loved one with the diagnosis of Borderline Personality Disorder.
The DBT skills can help people learn to more effectively support others in their life as well as increase their own emotion regulation abilities when stressful events occur. Throughout this course, experts in DBT will teach skills that help participants manage difficult situations, problem solve effectively with others, communicate boundaries while expressing empathy and validation, and more.
The skills come from the four main modules of DBT:
- Mindfulness: Being clearer on the present moment helps us more effectively decide how to respond
- Distress Tolerance: Knowing how to decrease our distress helps us to not make difficult situations worse
- Emotion Regulation: Understanding our emotions and what to do with them helps us control our emotions, instead of our emotions controlling us
- Interpersonal Effectiveness: Keeping our self-respect while expressing our wants, needs, and connection to others in ways that are likely to be well-received helps us prevent or de-escalate conflict
While during this workshop we will not be discussing any specific participant family dynamics or troubleshooting individual family scenarios, the DBT skills are highly applicable to daily life and example situations will be used to show how the skills can help various family situations.
Course Detail and Pricing:
- Dates: Mondays from September 12 to October 31, 2022
- Time: 6-7:30 PM
- Location: Virtual
- Price: $75 per session x 8 weeks ($600). Non-refundable once the workshop begins.
- Participant Requirements: Must be 18 years or older
- Note: This workshop is not considered a therapy or clinical service.