DBT-C is an evidence-based treatment targeting 6-12 year olds who struggle with regulating their emotions and behaviors. Led by our dynamic clinician, Nicole Messuri, LMFT, BCBA, Dialectical Behavior Therapy for children is a cognitive behavioral approach within a dialectical framework. DBT-C teaches DBT skills that have been adapted for a younger population, in order to, teach children to identify triggers and understand their emotions, better control their emotions and behavior, and learn ways to effectively cope with problems. DBT-C consists of individual skills training with children, parent training, and family skills training.
- Helps parents understand the dialectical dilemmas of parenting
- Helps parents learn the three steps to behavior change and create a change-ready environment
- Introduces parents to behavior modification techniques
- Helps parents troubleshoot parenting challenges
- Helps parents and children gain awareness of vulnerabilities and triggers to problem behaviors
- Teaches parents and children how to problem solve effectively
- Teaches parents and children how to identify and change common thinking traps
- Teaches parents and children to understand emotions and urges
- Teaches parents and children skills to increase tolerance to stressors
- Teaches parents and children how to be more mindful throughout the day
- Teaches parents and children how to regulate their emotions and effectively communicate to others
About our DBT-C Therapist, Nicole Messuri:
As a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist and a Board Certified Behavior Analyst, Nicole is foundationally trained in DBT and is one of the first clinicians in Southern California to be intensively trained in DBT-C with its developer, Francheska Perepletchikova, Ph.D, Assistant Professor of Psychology in Psychiatry at Weill Cornell Medical College. Nicole has more than 13 years of experience working with children and adolescents with problem behaviors and training parents in parent behavior management techniques.