If 20-Week Group is about learning skills and getting a foundation, Advanced Group is about diving deeper into applying skills to your individual life and unique situations. Now that you’ve learned the skills, in Advanced Group we will take a closer look at making them work more effectively for you as well as learn a few new skills along the way.
As we look over the four DBT modules (Mindfulness, Distress Tolerance, Emotion Regulation, and Interpersonal Effectiveness), we will review selected skills and introduce additional ones, plus spend time reflecting on and discussing the challenges of using skills in difficult moments.
What’s different about this group compared to our 20-week group?
- New skills will be taught that were not covered in our 20-week group.
- Reflection and Discussion prompts: Group members will have the chance to reflect on and discuss how specific skills do or do not work well for them, and get support from group leaders and other group members on making their skill use more effective.
- More time spent on mindfulness exercises at the start of each group and a greater focus on mindfulness practice overall.
- Two hours instead of 90 minutes allows for a full hour of mindfulness/check-in/homework review AND a full hour of skills lessons (with a short break in-between), so there is time to truly dive deeper into the skills.
- New videos/examples to review skills that you’ve already learned in new ways.
To be eligible for this group, participants must:
- Have completed at least one round of our 20-week skills group (or equivalent level of treatment from another treatment center)
- Have no current Stage 1 behaviors (no active life threatening behaviors) within the last 6 months
- Be able to attend for 8 weeks on Monday nights from 5:30-7:30pm (Next Round: Beginning Early December 2022)
- Have had an intake assessment at DBTOC at some point
- Complete a a pre-group interview if you have not had services at DBTOC in the last 6 months
For more information, please give us a call at 949-480-7767.