DBT OC Blog
Lights are twinkling, candles are glowing, and spicy aromas are in the air! The holiday season is upon us, and with that hygge! Hygge is a word that represents “a mood of coziness and comfortable conviviality with feelings of wellness and contentment” (Wikipedia). Forbes Magazine (March 2020) rates Denmark and Norway as two of the Top Twenty Happiest Countries in the World. There is a strong likelihood that this can be attributed to the Danish concept of hygge (pronounced hue-gah). The cultural practice of hygge is a lifestyle that attributes a specific level of mindfulness to mental and physical well-being. DBT skills are integral to the practices of hygge due to the level of mindfulness and intentionality they convey.
So how do you Hygge your life?
Here are some ways to embrace Hygge this holiday season:
- Create Atmosphere: with soft lighting by incorporating twinkle lights, candles, or hygge lamps in your home.
- Togetherness: Spend quality time with friends and family. Game nights, bake offs, Zoom or HouseParty App Get-Togethers!
- Presence: Practice the DBT skill of Mindfulness by turning off your phones and other distractions and be present in the Here and Now.
- Pleasure: Use the DBT skills of self-soothing, and improve the moment by eating comfort foods like chocolate, cookies, or cake and sipping hot chocolate or tea.
- Gratitude: Mindfully notice pleasant events and experiences; take these in.
- Comfort: Get comfy with cozy socks, soft clothes, and thick blankets.
- Harmony: Use the DBT skill, Effectively, and let go of drama.
- Shelter: Create a space of peace and security by removing stressors & clutter.! Bring the outdoors in with plants.