Maybe this year we can learn from nature.
We can learn to let go of our expectations–how warmer spring can be, how much more rain there will be, whether it’ll be a dry summer or cold winter. Maybe this year we can accept when it rains and accept when it doesn’t. Maybe this year, we don’t ask ourselves what’s wrong with the world or other people or ourselves…maybe this year, we can practice radical acceptance the DBT way by following these steps:
- Observe that you are questioning or fighting reality.
- Remind yourself that the unpleasant reality is just as it is and cannot be changed and that there are causes for it.
- Practice accepting with the whole self (mind, body, and spirit) and opposite action.
- Cope ahead with events that seem unacceptable.
- Attend to body sensations as you think about what you need to accept and allow disappointment, sadness, or grief to arise within you.
- Acknowledge that life can be worth living, even when there’s pain.
- Do pros and cons if you find yourself resisting practicing acceptance.
Written By: Dr. Meela Salamat PsyD
Photo Credit: Tansu Topuzoglu on Unsplash