Our DBT ‘COACHES IN ACTION’ Program offers our patients practical tools to improve their daily lives and help them towards Building a Life Worth Living! Using compassionate guidance and support and working within a DBT framework, our DBT COACHES IN ACTION, also known as case managers, offer individualized and collaborative coaching depending upon the patient’s needs in applying life skills to a variety of situations. Whether working on financial management such as credit repair and budgeting, time management, career planning, resume building and job hunting, creating a work-out regimen, building and strengthening a mindfulness practice or DBT skills – our DBT COACHES IN ACTION help patients with practical guidelines to get their lives on track. The emphasis is on setting and achieving goals, developing strengths and improving self-esteem. The overarching DBT goal is to Build a Life Worth Living and our DBT ‘Coaches in Action’ are committed to encouraging our patients to this end!
DBT COACHES IN ACTION
- Seek to empower patients to motivate and help them reach their goals.
- Work collaboratively with patients to support them in bringing about and fulfilling new behaviors to maximize upon personal and career potential.
- Monitor progress and support their efforts, including dealing with any setbacks that may occur.
- Work collaboratively with patients to build a plan based on their individual needs and values.
- Use a variety of DBT strategies to help them deal effectively with and manage social skills and life challenges.
- Meet weekly with the DBT team to collaborate on the patient’s psychological well-being, life management issues, updates and other pertinent information.
- Weekly 50 minute meetings to support patients towards meeting their goals.
SERVICES WE OFFER:
FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT: A patient’s attitude around money management is explored. Perhaps a patient has never had to manage money effectively because they have had a parent take care of most of their financial needs. Our money management counseling will help patients develop a greater sense of accountability and development of monthly budgets and even budget repair if applicable.
TIME MANAGEMENT: Our DBT Coaches in Action will work to help patients understand their pitfalls and help them overcome some of the issues keeping them stuck in patterns of fear and procrastination.
CAREER GUIDANCE: If a patient feels confused and lost about choosing a career path, we offer vocational testing to help them discover vocational choices best suited to their personalities, values and needs. Our DBT Coaches in Action will work with the patient to build resumes if necessary and offer them interview skills and appropriate tools to seek employment. If a patient wishes to enter college, our DBT Coaches in Action will help with college applications and entrance interviews.
WHAT ARE THE GOALS OF OUR DBT ‘COACHES IN ACTION’?
- TO OFFER COMPASSIONATE AND UNCONDITIONAL SUPPORT TO PATIENTS IN DEVELOPING AND ACHIEVING THEIR GOALS.
- COACHING IN ACTION IS MOTIVATIONAL IN NATURE AND PATIENTS SHOULD NOT EXPECT THAT THE WORK WILL BE DONE FOR THEM. THE DBT COACH IN ACTION WILL COLLABORATE WITH THE PATIENT TO DEVISE A PLAN, WHILE HELPING THE PATIENT DECIDE WHAT IS MOST IMPORTANT FOR THEM TO ACHIEVE.
- TO HELP PATIENTS FIND A MIDDLE PATH THAT WILL WORK FOR THEM WHILE ACKNOWLEDGING AND HIGHLIGHTING EACH PATIENT ‘S UNIQUE ATTRIBUTES.
- HAVING A PLAN IN PLACE, PATIENTS ARE OFFERED THE OPPORTUNITY TO BUILD THE CONFIDENCE TO CONTINUE MOVING FORWARD AND IMPLEMENT THEIR PERSONAL GOALS.
ABOUT OUR DBT COACHES:
Our coaches are passionate and dedicated DBT Skills Group Facilitators with Master’s Degrees. They have a strong desire to help patients maximize their potential. DBT Coaches in Action form the bridge between Individual Therapy and DBT Skills Training, by encouraging and supporting patients to apply Acceptance and Change strategies necessary to Build a Life Worth Living. The DBT Coach in Action meets weekly with the DBT team to collaborate on the patient’s psychological well-being, life management issues, updates and other important information.
The DBT Coach in Action will work with the patient to build a structured plan and monitor and support their progress throughout their treatment in the Adult Intensive Outpatient Program, and beyond if necessary.
A DBT Coach in Action can be included into a patient’s individualized treatment plan as an adjunctive support service when and if necessary and recommended by the individual therapist.